Project Manager/Researcher, START
Mr. Binder joined START in August 2013 as a project manager / senior researcher specializing terrorism involving chemical and biological agents. Prior to joining START he was an independent consultant providing expertise in the areas of WMD nonproliferation, chemical and biological terrorism, and the spread of MANPADS. From 2004 to 2007 he was Deputy Director of the Chemical and Biological Weapons Nonproliferation Program at the James Martin Center for Nonproliferation Studies (CNS) in Monterey, California. Prior to joining CNS Mr. Binder spent 15 months with the External Relations Division of the Organisation for the Prohibition of Chemical Weapons (OPCW) in The Hague. He has a MA in Political Studies from the University of Auckland in New Zealand (with a focus on revolutions, insurgencies and counter-hegemonic movements, as well as on security and diplomacy in the Asia-Pacific).
- Monterey Institute of International Studies, Certificate in Nonproliferation Studies, 2002
- University of Auckland, NZ, M.A. with Honors, Political Studies, 2000
- University of Auckland, NZ, B.A., 1997
- Independent Contractor addressing nonproliferation questions, 2007 to 2013
- Monterey Institute of International Studies, Center for Nonproliferation Studies - Deputy Director, Chemical and Biological Weapons Nonproliferation Project (CBWNP), 2005 to 2007
- Monterey Institute of International Studies, Center for Nonproliferation Studies - Research Associate, Chemical and Biological Weapons Nonproliferation Project (CBWNP), 2004 to 2005