General Terms and Conditions of Use for Profiles of Individual Radicalization in the United States (PIRUS) – Last updated January 2017
Use of the data signifies your agreement to the following terms and conditions.
- Definitions: Within this section:
- "PIRUS" will refer to the Profiles of Individual Radicalization in the United States (PIRUS) data produced by the National Consortium for the Study of Terrorism and Responses to Terrorism. This includes the data and codebook, any auxiliary materials present, and the World Wide Web interface by which the data are presented.
- "START" will refer to the National Consortium for the Study of Terrorism and Responses to Terrorism, a United States Department of Homeland Security Center of Excellence based at the University of Maryland.
- "USER" denotes the individual or set of individuals who access PIRUS, i.e. the data, codebook, or any auxiliary materials.
- "PIRUS representatives" denotes any senior management staff of START, and any employee or representative of said organization whom senior management staff designate to represent START in dealings with the USER.
- Usage Rights: Pursuant to this agreement, START grants the USER the non-exclusive, non-guaranteed right to download and access the PIRUS dataset.
- Authorship: All contents of PIRUS were assembled by representatives of START and do not purport to reflect the official position or data collections of the Department of Justice, Department of Homeland Security, or any other agency of the United States government.
- Acknowledgement: All information sourced from PIRUS should be acknowledged by the USER and cited as follows: "National Consortium for the Study of Terrorism and Responses to Terrorism (START). (2017). Profiles of Individual Radicalization in the United States (PIRUS) [Data file]. Retrieved from (http://www.start.umd.edu/pirus)"
- Unauthorized Publication of the Data: No part of PIRUS may be republished on any website or accessible for public download in any format without the express permission of a PIRUS staff member. In addition, no part of PIRUS may be distributed for any commercial purpose, nor with the intent that the data be used in any commercial enterprise, without the express permission of a PIRUS staff member. START reserves the right to withhold this permission.
- Penalties: Penalties for failure to comply with the terms of this agreement may result in loss of access to PIRUS and the forfeiture of user privileges, in addition to any other appropriate legal remedies.
- Limitation of Liability: Although every reasonable effort has been made to check sources and verify facts, START cannot guarantee that accounts reported in the open literature are complete and accurate. START shall not be held liable for any loss or damage caused by errors or omissions or resulting from any use, misuse, or alteration of PIRUS data by the USER. The USER should not infer any additional actions or results beyond what is presented in PIRUS data. If new or updated documentation about an event or individual becomes available, the data may be modified, as necessary and appropriate.
- Multimedia Copyright: Images and other multimedia files contained in PIRUS are held under copyright to various parties. No multimedia files from PIRUS may be removed, reproduced, or disseminated without express written permission from the copyright holder.
- Termination of Rights: The PIRUS developers reserve the right to remove access from any particular IP address or set of IP addresses, or to remove the database entirely from public access, at their discretion. In such an event, all USER rights granted in this document are terminated.