START Senior Researcher, GIS
8400 Baltimore Ave., Suite 250, College Park, MD 20740
Marcus A. Boyd is the senior GIS researcher at the National Consortium for the Study of Terrorism and Responses to Terrorism (START) at the University of Maryland where he directs GIS research. Boyd's research interests include analyses focused on transit networks, visualization, trafficking of people and illicit material, sociology of terrorism, and radicalization. He has been published in the journals State & Local Government Review and Growth and Change. Previously, he served in a variety of roles within the Department of Homeland Security and the Intelligence Community. He is a Ph.D. candidate in the Department of Sociology at George Mason University, where his work focuses on is regional science and social theory, holds an M.A. from The George Washington University, and a B.A. from Virginia Commonwealth University.
- George Mason University, PhD Candidate, Sociology, 2015 (Expected)
- The George Washington University, M.A., Philosophy and Social Policy, 2010
- Virginia Commonwealth University, B.A., 2006
- Alpha Kappa Delta, The International Sociology Honor Society
- Member, American Sociological Association
- Member, American Association of Geographers
- Member, Eastern Sociological Society
- Member, District of Columbia Sociological Society
- Senior Researcher, START, 2014-Present
- Adjunct Professor of Sociology, George Mason University, 2014-Present
- Geospatial Analyst, Schafer Corp./DNDO, 2012-2014
- Regional Analyst, SAIC/NGA, 2010-2012
- All-Source Analyst, BAE Systems/DIA, 2008-2010
- Researcher, BAE Systems/NGA, 2007-2008
- Gooden, S., Jones, D., Martin, K. J., & Boyd, M. (2009). Social equity in local emergency management planning. State & Local Government Review, 1-12.
- Christopher, Vese, Boyd, et al. (Forthcoming). Servicing Our Economy: Producer Service Location and Government Procurements 2004-2010 in the Washington DC Metropolitan Area. Growth and Change.