The START Communications team is seeking communications, public relations or journalism students to serve as interns this summer semester. Rather than performing START research, candidates chosen for this project will gain extensive experience writing and publishing, developing social media strategies, and monitoring and reporting various analytics for the organization as a whole. Interns will also have the opportunity to work with the news media, learn media list and monitoring programs, and work in graphic design.
Deadline: Tuesday, April 4, 2017; 11:59pm
Citizenship Requirement: US citizenship is required.
Team Meeting Times: TBD
Work Location: START HQ located at 8400 Baltimore Ave., College Park, MD 20740. All internship hours must be completed at START HQ, unless otherwise specified. Working remotely is not permitted.
Responsibilities will include, but are not limited to:
- Writing and editing press releases and feature stories
- Planning and attending events
- Developing and tracking media lists
- Monitoring social media
- Assisting with strategic planning and implementation
- Engaging in START’s educational enrichment program
- Supporting marketing and outreach initiatives, including using MS Publisher and/or Adobe Suite to design marketing materials and research briefings (as needed).
- Junior, Senior, or Graduate student specializing in journalism, public relations, or a related field
- Excelling writing and verbal skills
- Knowledge of AP style
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office Suite
- Adobe Creative Suite, specifically Illustrator and Photoshop
- MS Publisher
Communications Internship Instructions:
In addition to the internship-wide application requirement of the two-page writing sample, we strongly prefer that candidates for this position submit communications-related work samples such as articles, web copy, or brochures.
General information for all START Spring 2017 Internships
- Orientation Date: Thursday, June 1, 2017 and Friday, June 2, 2017. All interns are required to attend orientation.
- Internship Duration: Monday, June 5, 2017 to Friday, August 11, 2017. All interns must be able to commit to the duration of the whole program.
- Work Hours: All interns must work at least 20 hours per week during the Summer 2017 program. Work hours are scheduled from Monday to Friday, 9:00am-5:00pm. Interns may not work longer than 8 hour shifts.
- All internships are UNPAID and START is unable to provide travel stipends or housing arrangements.
- We strongly encourage and recommend that interns seek academic credit for their internship through their home institution or department, if possible.
- If undertaking the internship for credit, you must indicate this in your application form. Be sure to notify your internship supervisor if you need to work more than 20 hours per work for this reason.
- Applicants interested in applying for an internship for any semester other than or in addition to Summer 2017, must submit a separate application for each semester with the correct application form for that semester.
How to Apply for START Internships:
START is currently accepting applications for Summer 2017. The application form will be open until Monday, April 3, 2017 11:59pm. Late, incomplete, or applications not submitted correctly will not be considered.To access the application: click here.
All internship applicants must submit all materials in one .pdf or .doc file using the file name format:
LastName, FirstName_InternCandidate.pdf or .doc.
The internship application packet should include:
- Official or unofficial transcript(s)
- One page resume
- One page cover letter
- Two-page writing sample (Communications applicants must submit two writing samples.)
- Applicants must pay close attention to the requirements of each internship they are applying for, including attendance to team meetings and minimum time commitment. Inability to attend compulsory meetings or work the minimum required hours will result in the revocation of any offer made.
- Address your cover letter to the internship supervisor of your first choice.
- Failure to complete the application form in full, including the selection of 1-3 internship preferences could result in your application being rejected without further consideration.
- Failure to submit the proper materials according to the directions provided in the project description could result in your application being rejected without further consideration.
- Due to the high volume of applicants, only top candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.
- Applicants may be asked to attend more than one interview.
- Any successful candidate will be asked to respond with a firm acceptance within 24 hours of the offer being made. Failure to respond could result in the vacancy passed to another candidate.
- Any questions regarding the specific requirements for the internship vacancy should be directed to the supervisor(s) listed for the project.
- Any questions regarding the application process should be directed to the START Education Team at email@example.com.
Note for International Students:
START welcomes applications from international students for all of our internships where US citizenship is not a requirement (see the qualifications listed for each project for details).
It is, however, the responsibility of the applicant to ensure that their visa or immigration status permits them to undertake an unpaid internship. It is also the responsibility of the applicant to ensure that all proper paperwork, like documented approval from your home institution, is available and processed in time for the start of the internship. Failure to comply with these stipulations, or provide the paperwork required to verify your status, will result in your internship offer being rescinded without further consideration.
All international applicants (including F1 (but not OPT F1 visa holders) and J1 visa candidates) must apply by the deadline. In order to help ensure there is enough time to process the appropriate paperwork. If you are an international applicant please ensure you indicate your visa type as requested on the application.