The National Consortium for the Study of Terrorism and Responses to Terrorism (START) based at the University of Maryland College Park is currently seeking to hire a full-time Business Coordinator. START supports research that applies the theories and methods of social science to the study of the human causes and consequences of terrorism and transitions its findings to the community.
START’s business office is responsible for management of over 150 accounts as well as over 90 full and part time staff and faculty. Team members of the business office support a wide range of tasks, including financial/accounting, operational, administrative/personnel, and procurement actions for the consortium.
The Business Coordinator is primarily responsible for payroll and human resource functions for START and assists in supervising day-to-day business operations. This involves extensive sponsored research administration, in particular post-award management. Additional duties include financial management and procurement. The Coordinator ensures that resources for START’s sponsored projects are accurately and appropriately allocated, in collaboration with START’s program and project managers.
Essential duties and responsibilities include the following:
- Responsible for payroll and human resources - process appointments (paid and nonpaid), adjustments and maintain personnel files of employee appointments
- Responsible for the execution of the Professional Track (PTK) title adjustments and promotions
- Responsible for creating hiring memoranda and offer letters
- Responsible for review and processing of overloads, final leave payouts, and salary increments
- Responsible for visa processing
- Responsible for processing biweekly funding source allocations
- Primary interlocutor with the College of Behavioral and Social Sciences (BSOS) Dean’s office
- Customer Service – respond to inquiries
- Creator for eTerp - responsible for reviewing job postings, creating them in eTerp, training search coordinators, setting up charge meetings, liaising between START and BSOS Equity Administrator, seating positions and marking positions as filled
- Assist with procurement actions – process of consultant agreements (sole source, small dollar, RFQ’s), as well as honorariums and reimbursements
- Responsible of the management of a purchasing card, purchasing and monthly reallocations
- Assist with account reconciliation
- Process salary transfers/general error corrections as appropriate
- Provides audit and data call support, as needed
- Accountable for START’s cash handling and transferring of funds into the appropriate accounts
- Assist in supervision of the Operations Administrative Assistant, Business Services Specialist, and Accounting Associate
- Provide general customer service, responding to inquiries and being a resource for business staff as well as START faculty and staff at large
- Bachelor's degree
- 2 years’ experience in accounting, sponsored research administration, or combination
- Experience working in university setting and with budgetary management
- Proven experience with University of Maryland administrative systems, policies and procedures, particularly UMD’s PHR, iTerp, and eTerp systems, strongly preferred
- Experience in other UMD financial and procurement systems, including but not limited to KFS, KR, Priority/BA, and ELF
- Experience with accounts payable, purchasing & procurement, budgeting and financial statement preparation, cash handling, account reconciliations preferred.
- Knowledge of federal guidelines regarding allocation of sponsored funds
- Master’s degree in business or financial administration
This is a regular exempt position that is benefits eligible.
Apply for this job through the University of Maryland website at https://ejobs.umd.edu/